Friday, February 29, 2008

Facebook

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2008/jan/14/facebook is an interesting article

> 

I have a facebook account and I think it has a coolness factor but its all about business and ads and capitalism. I know much is but the Internet shouldn’t be.

> 

Is there no social networking site out there that isn’t all about the almighty dollar. Perhaps Craigslist should start a social networking site.

 

I am from the old school days when BBS’s existed as a hobby. Yes some charged but not excessively for what they offered. The charge was to cover the cost of the equipment and phone lines which were so damn expensive that I never was able to be a sysop.

 

BBS was a subculture about connecting people. Not about MONEY. The internet was about freely exchanging info. Maybe I will start a Facebook clone but instead of it being on the web, I will make it text only and on GOPHER. I have the hardware and bandwidth. I would just have to convince people they should use it so that they can stick it to than man by not using Facebook.

 

Btw I rarely have time to Facebook but I will stay on from time to time to keep in touch

 

 

No comments: