Friday, February 22, 2008

Liquid Satan and the Hamburger Buns

I thought what a cool name for a blog post. Sounds like a band from the 90s doesn’t it? Actually credit for the term liquid satan goes to Ninjanun from a comment on one of her posts.  I don’t steal without giving credit. Anyway, on to the post

 

Last night my wife made some hamburgers for dinner and bought supposed whole wheat buns. I took one bite and said, I taste sugar in this. I bet it has liquid satan in it.  Of course she was confused as was my mom and I had to explain the whole HFCS/Liquid satan reference. I wasn’t sure it was LS but it was definitely sugar.

 

Later on, I went home. My wife was still at my moms and she read the ingredients and called me and said I was right. The third ingredient was Liquid Satan himself (High Fructose Corn Syrup). Some whole wheat bread huh.

 

I guess I blew the diet last night but there are a few points

 

1)       I have adjusted from not eating much sugar to the point that I know it when I taste it. Call it the gift of culinary discernment.

2)       Ninjanun’s term for HFCS (Liquid Satan) just may catch on in the mainstream vocabulary.

3)       Liquid satan is out there and will get you where you least expect it. Resist liquid satan and he will flee from you.

 

 

I shouldn’t have been eating hamburgers or bread anyway. I can have whole wheat bread in phase 2 but not yet.

 

 

7 comments:

Nina said...

Most OTC bread products contain that evil liquid. I read the ingredients and look for products sweetened with honey. Of course they're usually more expensive. Most of the time, these days, I make my own bread. It's more time consuming of course, but it saves you $$ and you control what you eat.

Paul said...

Just to say, that really is a good title...

Unknown said...

Since you mention burgers, ketchup is also a notorious carrier of Bottled Beelzebub. Heinz, however, markets an organic variety that is thankfully devoid of the stuff.

Ninjanun said...

BTW, it was actually Dorsey who came up with the term Liquid Satan in my comment section.


Anyhoo, if you live near a Trader Joe's, you should start buying your processed foods from there. No liquid satan in their breads or cereals!

Yes, if you want to eat well, you're going to have to spend a bit more to get the good/healthier stuff. But that's why I shop at TJ's, they are usually cheaper than the non-organic/non-preservative brands at other stores. And they are way cheaper than the other "health food" stores for the exact same brands of stuff.

Of course, since the Pete and I don't eat meat, we have more money to spend on quality food items and quality booze. ;)

TJ's even has a Margarita mix with no liquid satan (it does have normal sugar, but normal sugar is WAAAAY better for you).

A book I would recommend reading is called The Great American Detox Diet by Alex Jamison. It really opened my eyes to what is healthy and what is not, and helped me be a more informed shopper/consumer of food.

Spiritbear said...

Sorry Dorsey. I will make sure and let everyone know that you are the inventor of the term "Liquid Satan"

Spiritbear said...

Sorry Dorsey. I will make sure and let everyone know that you are the inventor of the term "Liquid Satan"

Unknown said...

Not to worry. I didn't copyright the name.

However, if it takes off like you think, I'd at least like a mention in the Wikipedia article. hehe