Monday, February 04, 2008

Annoyance

Ok so I went to oil can henrys in salem to get an oil change. The guy with his plastered smile who couldn't complete a sentence without using the word sir(which seems so fake and makes me feel old) anyway he tries to sell me over 100 dollars worth of other services. I declined and was irritated. He still smiles like the plastic people in the black hole sun video

Next I go to carls jr ( I know I am on a diet but I still gotta eat) this guy is sickenly smiley and kept saying sir as well. He tried to sell me fries and a big drink.

I hate suggestive selling and I won't be a victim anymore. No I don't want fries with that. I don't want to spend 20 bucks on an air filter I can get for 5 and install myself

I am not a walking market segment. I am more than one who consumes so the rich get richer

I am a freaking person. I do not exist to pad the pockets of the rich elite

4 comments:

tkn said...

Oh really? Apparently that's how Bush perceives all of us. I generally try to avoid the sound of his voice but the other day I caught a snippet of him referring to the citizenry as consumers. That's all we are to them, consumers.

I'm really not trying to harp on the worst president ever, but your post reminded me of it.

And I know the pull of Carls Jr. too. Sometimes BK or McD's just doesn't cut it anymore! ummm...cheeseburgers...

Nina said...

i used to fall for those oil change places gimmicks.

hey, try being called "ma'am". :)

those smiles are the corporate way. i try and find empathy for these folks, who are making a pitiful wage and just trying to survive. if the scumbags have their way, we'll become a nation of fast food workers and the like. i watched a report sunday night about dubai and how many of our biggest u.s. corps are stationing themselves over there.

yeah, we are consumers, not people.

you ever try dairy queen? it's fast food of course but you get more for your dollar. although i still remember the days when two could grab a quick bite to eat for under $5. sigh....

hey, how's your mom?

crallspace said...

You go man!

Oil Can Henry's approach is a bit dorky. All the hootin' and hollerin' and flagrant use of grease shop slang to make them sound cool. Although my wife thinks it's fun.

Your post is well stated. Good way of looking at it.

Those people who are hocking you the extra junk are part of the process in fattening the hogs. For just above minimum wage.

Spiritbear said...

Sorry for the delay.

Nina, my mom is much better. They drained the fluid off her lungs and she has been home for a while now.

Thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers