Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Salem Drivers Suck

I drive all over this state at different times. My work takes me to the Portland area about once or twice a month. Other than traffic jams, I find Portland to have decent drivers and to be easy to drive in compared to many big cities (ie. Minneapolis, DC, Denver, Chicago, Kansas City, etc).

 

Salem on the other hand is a different story. Being small, it doesn’t have the traffic but I am always having a near miss with some freaking SUV or monster truck. I-5 is like a speedway. The speed limit is 60 (except in construction zone that is all of S Salem) but I can do 65-70 and still have some moron come up behind me like I am a speedbump.

 

Its not just me. Insurance companies say that Salem has more accidents than the rest of Oregon. I wonder why this is. Could it be that its full of right wingers with monster trucks and Tahoes? I don’t know but I would rather drive in Portland any day than on I-5 thru Salem. The only thing similar but worse is Salt Lake City and places in Idaho. Hmmm those are red states.

 

Perhaps insurance companies who are corrupt and use unfair practices like credit scoring should start charging higher rates for those who are registered Republicans. Not sure about the connection but something is wrong

3 comments:

tkn said...

Last night some ding dong was tailgating me heading south towards the co-op. So I braked kind of hard. He didn't hit me but didn't stop tailgating either. What a jerk. musta been from Salem.

Nina said...

I-5 is insane. Actually, freeway driving is insane. People clustered together driving at high speeds bumper to bumper--never has made any sense to me. Add into the mix cell phone use, eating, reading, applying make-up and good god get me outta here already!!! There has to be some mystical, angelic protection or else there would be a lot more accidents. I get panic/claustrophic in situations like that, so any freeway driving is done by someone else or public transportation.

And yeah, driving through Salem does seem to be crazier.

Ninjanun said...

There have been quite a few times where the Pete and I have been cut off by someone with one of those "fish" on the back of their car. Also see a lot of big-ass SUV's and hummers with Bush-Cheney '04 stickers on the bumper.