Monday, January 01, 2007

War, what is it good for?

In the old days back when I lived in Minnesota, I was around people who were of the religious right influence. I was a republican because I was told to be. It was just a given that if you love the Lord, you gotta love Pres Bush.

After moving to Oregon, I have become deprogrammed and realize that most of what ole W does is not compatible with Christ.

I believe the war in Iraq, was based on lies and was a personal vendetta against Saddam and otherwise about money.

I am now more left in the spectrum and realize Christians shouldnt kill their enemies, but love them. I think I have become a hippy.

Heres another twist. I think that if there was ever a justification for war, it would be to overthrow the government in Darfur to save the people. Not saying thats the way because I am now antiwar, but the way the US pickes and chooses their battles is sick.

Also why do many Christians justify this. Whatever happend to:

Thou shalt not kill
Love your enemies
Blessed are the peacemakers.

I could find more. Where are the Christian hippies? Where are those who want to save his people not kill them? Where are those who value and protect nature? Where are those who are not in love with money? Where are the true followers of Christ?

I have been blessed to find friends. Mostly in this online community that seem to share some of my values.

If any of you remember the Lorax, I would say to you, Jesus is not the Once-Ler

5 comments:

Unknown said...

What concerns me is the "If not A, then B" mindset that tends to accompany criticism of the right. I don't think the republican machine has acted in accordance with my belief system at all. However, too many Christians are saying, "Well, then Jesus must want us to be Democrats!" I wish people thought more deeply than that, but I don't think they do.

I also agree with Thou shalt not kill, Love your enemies, etc. However be careful not to lean on those verses without appropriate context. There are also several scriptures that speak of standing up for those who cannot defend themselves. This would mesh with your desire to intervene in Darfur. I'm not sure I agree, but I've heard some pretty cogent arguments that removing Saddam was, on some level, also such an act.

(To answer your question, the Christian hippies are the same place as the regular hippies, they found out you can't buy a BMW with love, so they sold out to the man. heh heh)

MJ said...

I feel like I am watching two parents fighting over their children between the democrats and the republicans. I think they all suck equally. the republicans for being money grubbing whores and the democrats for being pie in the sky idealist idiots. I think we should do away with the whole lot of these freaks and start over...but I have no idea what that would look like. I guess it all boils down to the devil that you know is better than the one you don't. Everyone sucks equally, that's my take on the whole thing...just for all different reasons, but the being idiots goes just as deep on both sides.

Spiritbear said...

Good point. They all suck equally. Maybe I will register Green Party. I never said I liked Democrats either.

As for Saddam, maybe he deserved what he got. I just cant help but think it wasnt for the poor Iraqis that we went to this war

Unknown said...

It's easy to become cynical after the fact, but I remember when liberating Iraqis was part of the equation.

WhiteWolf28 said...

Go GREEN!!! That's the way!!! I don't totally agree with them, but I believe that we need to be better to this world. This is God's world, and we need to take care of it as best as we can. I don't like people destroying trees. I don't like people do animal experimentations. I don't like war.

I think there are Christian hippies out there, I just think that they are not allowed to talk. Hardly anyone wants to hear them, and people who are not hippies try to shut them up.