Friday, January 19, 2007

Vista

I know. Its not out yet, but I work for a company that allows me to have it for testing and evaluation purposes. I installed Vista on my PC. Here is my initial assessment:

1) It took 3 hours to install on a P4 2.8 with 1gig of RAM. If you have less than that, you may want to give it a day

2) My computer is a bit slower than it was, but still decent. However, I suspect I am on the edge of the REAL system requirements not what M$ posts. If you have less than I do, watch out

3) Its WEIRD. Everything is in different places, however I see no real benefits. Its like they did it just to frustrate the hell out of people. It really looks like Mac OSX to me, though its not exactly Mac. You can tell its another knockoff though.

I had to upgrade because my customers will and I have to learn how to support it. I dont think it will really hurt me, but I am a tech with over 10 years experience.

Advice, if you like XP, dont go to Vista. XP is fairly stable. Normal people should at least wait till SP2 for Vista comes out in a few years. I will post any bugs I find. Its too early to tell. I can say that I dont hate it, but overall I am unimpressed. Give me a good reason to like it.

1 comment:

MJ said...

Why do they always have to go and change everything? That's what I hate so much about technology. Just when you start geetting used to everything, they change it. There is something I miss about things being the same a long time and evolving a little more slowly. I think the quick pace of change we have to deal with today causes too much stress.