Friday, January 25, 2008

Snow in the Valley

I had an interesting commute this morning. Skidded out pretty good driving through North Albany. Thought I was going to be getting pulled out of the ditch. Something stopped me. Maybe it was God ( I was praying God don’t let me crash). Maybe just my Minnesota winter driving skills. Anyway my point was a little snow totally paralyzes this place. I think we need some better de-icer. I am also interested in your take on this. Whomever reads. Now I do believe in Global Warming, but I think this winter has been unusually cold and icy here in Oregon. Do you think that may be because the melting of the ice caps is cooling the pacific?

 

I sure hope people around here learn how to drive in the ice and learn what road salt is if that’s the case.

 

I guess people think global warming is going to make everything warmer but I wonder if its affect on Oregon wont be hotter summers and nastier winters. What do you all think?

5 comments:

Ninjanun said...

"Global Warming" is such a confusing term for most people, because of the "global" bit. But really, it has to do with the ozone layer or something, and how our pollution has tipped the delicate balance so that those protective atmospheric layers are not as strong as they used to be. It's similar to no longer having good insulation in your house: insulation keeps things warm in winter and cool in summer, so when it's no longer there, you're going to experience a wider range of temperature changes. Essentially, we're becoming a little more like other planets in our solar system that don't have as much atmosphere: hot temps in summer, freezing temps in winter, and more extreme weather in general (more hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.) since not just temperature is affected by these changes.

hth! :)

Ninjanun said...

Ha! Just read over my comment, and realized I messed up the first sentence! It should read,

"Global Warming is such a confusing term...because of the "warming" bit.


There, now the rest of my comment makes more sense (I hope).

Spiritbear said...

Interesting. I think you are right. its snowing like crazy here today

Spiritbear said...

Oh and there was a Tornado in Vancouver, WA (just accross the river from Portland) a few weeks ago. Tornadoes are rare west of the Cascades and unheard of in January.

tkn said...

With all due respect to ninjanun, "global warming" as commonly understood is an outcome of too much co2 in the atmosphere. I'm sure ozone depletion is also involved, but to use your analogy, the situation as I understand it is that we're adding too much insulation to the house. However, things being wildly dynamic, as opposed to static, we're seeing more extremes. I'm certainly no expert, but quite frankly, I'm a bit startled to see this kind of gap in your knowledge, given the obsession these days with reducing one's "carbon footprint".

I love the snow, but dread the thought of driving on it, especially when it gets packed and icy. And all the other idiots out there. If snow becomes more common we should get more sand and plows before resorting to auto body corroding salt.

Driving home from PDX today, I noticed there was like 3" of snow in Albany but it is nearly gone here in Corvallis. Whats up with that?