Friday, January 25, 2008

Recent Posts

Some of my recent posts have been scattered and haphazard. That is partly because I have been posting more as I see things now that I can do it from the crackberry.

 

One post over at SCP entitled moving forward got me thinking. People talk about New Years resolutions (mine by the way is 1280x1024). You geeks will get that. Anyway, I truly see 2008 as a year of new beginnings. I think since 2003 when we moved out here to Oregon, I have spent too much time mourning and lamenting the life we had. We did have it pretty good. Nice place to live. Good job. Nice town. Friends, Active in Church. I kept saying its not the same and sank in and out of depression.

 

We have thought of returning to Minnesota but even that wouldn’t make things as they were in 03. In fact, I have changed too much to ever have things they way they were and I don’t really like who I was then. Sure I felt closer to God but it was in the context of Church.

 

I see this year as the year to accept things for what they are and fix them if possible. I want to get in shape, we joined a health club and went on a diet. I want to get out of debt. I made a plan. The consequences of the last 4 years are there but they are fixable.

 

When finished, I am sure life wont look like it did in 03 (nor should it), but it may be even better. I think its possible to have an authentic relationship with God. Have healthy relationships and do good works that make a difference. I may not be sure what this will look like.

 

2008 will be the year as Steve said of “moving forward” (buzzword attack). Perhaps its time to stop mourning the loss of what really wasn’t real to begin with. It is what it is (another buzzword). Lets all think outside the box, push the envelope and get some real synergy going on.

 

Have a great day

3 comments:

Ninjanun said...

In light of what I know now about myself, spirituality, the way the Church™ played on my emotions/desires, etc., I often wonder if I was really closer to God a few years back (before I started to smell the bullshit) or if it was just all wishful thinking reinforced with "positive feelings of glowy spiritual goodness." Plus, my criteria for what it meant to be "close to God" was probably wrong:

"Am I reading my bible enough?" check

"Am I praying for X minutes each day?" check

"Am I actively involved in a Church™ ?" check

"Do I feel something pleasant during "worship?" check


Etc.


Nowadays, I'm more apt to believe God is just as present in the suffering, the confusion, the banal and the mundane bits of my life, despite what I may personally "feel." For someone who is as supposedly "emotional" as I am, I've learned not to trust my emotions so much when it comes to matters of faith. Emotions are transient and subject to such random things as if I got enough sleep or eat, or what exactly was in that Burrito. ;)

According to Matthew 25, if we want to be close to God, we should be close to the poor, the hungry, the thirsty, the down and out of society. That's whom God identifies with, and that's whom He says we should be a friend to.

That's my new measuring stick, anyway.


p.s. Congrats on deciding to get in shape! The Pete and I are trying to get back in shape, too. We should be "accountability partners" or something. :p (I'm only half joking, bro.)

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

I fully agree with ninjanun. And may we all be moved into new experiences - that make us compassionate to the poor and the abused, and less sure that we have all the answers.
PG

Spiritbear said...

I have given a lot of thought to the comments on this and realize that there is definitely something to it. I dont feel much during worship a lot of times and feel guilty for it. That is when I go.

Honestly my best encounter with God when I felt the closest to him was in the Mountains of Colorado when I was 15. No Church. Werent even going to any Church at the time. Later I learned how to "induce" the feelings and feel God on cue.

I find the real God everywhere. Sometimes not where i expect to see him. A lot of times when I am alone in nature.

I can even look at my dog and believe. That may sound weird.

Someday I will post my whole testimony or story for all to see. I just need time to do it.

I actually feel I could be open about it on the blog with no condemnation. something i never thought i could do in Church