Friday, November 03, 2006

Truth

If you look up Wikipedia's definition of truth it says "Common dictionary definitions of truth mention some form of accord with fact or reality. There is, however, no single definition of truth about which scholars agree, and numerous theories of truth continue to be widely debated. Differing opinions exist on such questions as what constitutes truth, how to define and identify truth, what roles do revealed and acquired knowledge play, and whether truth is subjective, relative, objective, or absolute. This article introduces the various perspectives and claims."

In this day and age, I guess I would expect no better. People dont know what is true or even what truth is. People invent what is true to them. I am a GenXer and I am influenced by postmodern thought. This has messed with my theology in a bad way, however, I believe that what I believe to be true is truth. If nothing is true, how we do know we are even really here. People can debate on whether the Bible is true. I am not going to waste my time. I choose to believe it is. I also believe it must be interpreted correctly. (whole other discussion). In a world that doesnt believe in truth, how can one find peace and hope. How can one know that what they believe is right. This defies logic and goes to what I call a self evident truth.

A self evident truth is one that is so obvious only a fool would doubt it. You are alive, I hope that is self evident. Nature is real (though some people believe its not). I guess what I am trying to do here is not tell you what is true, but encourage you to search your heart to see what truths are self evident in your mind. Then you will at least know what truth is. Then we can argue/debate over opinions.

If truth is relative, how do I know I am really here?

1 comment:

WhiteWolf28 said...

Great post about truth. What is truth? What is opinion? Sometimes they get mixed up, and people will believe that their opinion is truth. For example, some people believe the president is evil. Is this truth? I don't think it is. How can you tell if they are or not? What is being evil? Like an old saying goes, "You can't judge a book by its cover". For me, this is an opinion and not truth. Great post.