Sunday, November 19, 2006

Dirty Little Secrets

Here I am at 11:00AM on a Sunday. I should be in Church, right? Well whatever. Anyway, I just watched a music video by a band called the All American Rejects. The song was called Dirty Little Secret. I dont make a habit of watching videos, they are hardly on anymore.

This video was interesting. While the band played the song, all kinds of people held up little handwritten cards exposing their dirty little secrets. One flashed by that said "I had gay sex at a church camp", Another said, "I only love two of my children" One said "I miss feeling close to God". Several were meaningful. Some were dumb, like "I pee in the sink" and "I like the smell of my own poop". Interesting enough, most of the people's faces were hidden.


What I took from this rather interesting video is a perspective. We are all hiding ourselves from others. This is probably most true in Churchianity. I think the band knows this when they made the reference to gay sex at a church camp.

Imagine for a minute that Ted Haggard was standing in front of his congregation or on national TV holding a sign that said "I had sex with a gay prostitute" or "I bought meth today" How many people would still follow him.

Jesus sees our secrets. We might as well walk into the Church with big signs plastered on our face. I think I will try it. I will try and think of a terrible fault of mine, put it on a shirt and walk into a Church and see what happens. Maybe I will not shower for a few days too and wear clothes with holes in them. Maybe I will guzzle a couple of 40s before I walk in. Point is, in the true Church, the guy who walks in with a sign in his hand that says "I am gay, I had an abortion, and I voted AGAINST BUSH" should be welcomed the same way, that the Rev Dr Richard Fuzzywinkle would be.

Wow this is scary, I got more out of a video by a secular band than I get out of some Church services.

No comments: