Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Another kind of divide

This is another thing I thought about on my way to work this morning. I was listening to an old Godscrum podcast. Zeke was interviewing a guy named Eric who is a gay Christian. I am not going to touch on the whole gay issue here. Just a reference point. They were discussing how outcast gays are in the Church. This made me think about something. In my Churchianity days, I was always disturbed by the attitude within the Church that inside are the "holy people" out outside are the "filthy sinners". People who visited the Church if they didnt come back must be "filthy sinners" and we needed to pray them back in. If you dont go to Church, you must be falling away. The guilt with that was always unbearable even though inside, I never bought into it.

People in Churches (or more accurately whatever service you happen to be at) are not the holy and everyone not there are not filthy sinners.

Truthfully we are all filthy sinners. We have all done bad things and sinned. I no longer believe in levels of sin (well for the most part). I also dont think the condemnation of those not in the building is healthy to anyone. It creates this dichotomy. The people in the Church are us and everyone else is them. God loves us all. In or out of the Church.

Not only is there a divide between the sacred and the secular in the sense of vocation, but there is an even bigger divide between those in the Church and those out of the Church.

I think the cardinal sins of Churchianity as it is are as follows:

Gay People having abortions
Not voting republican
Tolerance
Missing Church

Everything else is no big deal. After all. we are all sinners. Thats what Churchianity says when they sin. Its that do as a I say not as a I do.

F them all. Oh and God Bless everyone. No exceptions.

3 comments:

shelly said...

My take on the "Cardinal Sins of Churchianity"...

* Being gay
* Getting an abortion
* Being an unwed parent
* Not voting Republican
* Being a liberal/progressive
* Missing too much church (read: one month or more), unless you've got a good reason for it (sickness, bereavement)
* "Tolerance"
* Not supporting GWB simply because he's a fellow Christian
* Believing the entire concept of turning the world (or, at least, the USA) into a dominionist theocracy or whatever is a load of crap

I'm still churched, so I see quite a bit of this.

And yes, God bless EVERYONE.

Spiritbear said...

Well said Shelly. I forgot a few of them. Awesome list.

I am glad to see you read my stuff. Thanks.

MJ said...

Well other than being gay, I think I have done all of these things.