Wednesday, September 12, 2007

More about cannibal pup. Its a dog eat dog world

OK. I may have jumped the gun with that last post. I was pissed and I made an assumption that cannibal dog food must be true and must be fueled by corporate greed. Further research I have found the following:

1) The FDA has investigated this. Others have too. There is compelling evidence that euthanized animals have at some point ended up in dog food.

2) The wild stories about trucks carrying dead dogs to the rendering plants and vets asking do you want your dog rendered seem far fetched and may be urban legends. Though sources like Snopes dont seem to touch the issue

3) What has been proven repeatedly is that there is a presence of phenabarbitol (the main drug used to put down animals) in a percentage of the dog and cat food supply. How it got there, nobody knows. Many speculate.

Here are my thoughts. The conspiracy theory side of me wants to buy this as truth. The practical side wants to say another urban legend. I think I will switch my dog to foods from companies that allow me to know whats really in it.

Is there dead dog and cat in dog and cat food? I dont know.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I commented to your earlier post before I read this one. Sorry.

However, the phenobarb in the dog food prompted me to go out and buy some. The taste wasn't the best, but, man, I am soooo relaxed right now.

Thanks for the tip.

hehehe