Saturday, April 19, 2008

Church well sort of

In addiiton to all the madness my wife and I have been attending a sort of a Church meeting in Salem on Sunday nights. Its an informal group at the Pastors house. I kind of like it. It makes me feel better when I am there. I havent gotten down to where they are at on many issues.

This is sort of an emerging yet not emergent postmodern meeting pseudo non-church.

Can church in a new package really be the answer to avoiding the stupid things church people do.

These people seem very sincere. I am not sure how I am supposed to feel about this considering my new way of thinking.

I dont want to be a fundie anymore so to speak yet I like hanging out with people and talking about God and spiritual things. Will this lead to just another church or could this group really get it.

I made a statement in a meeting that I stole (or borrowed) from someone on an SCP podcast. I am not sure if it was Ninjanun who said it or if it was Steve (not that they sound the same I just know it was on the podcast where Ninjanun called Steve).

The statement and I do not quote correctly was something to the effect of we need to stop doing church and start being the church.

I said that to the pastor of this group now he is saying it in meetings. Thats cool because I agree with it.

I think I will fire up the old MP3 player and listen to that podcast again. Perhaps I will then see how badly I am quoting whoever said it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Until I can find a way to achieve total mind-control over everyone on earth, people will always do stupid stuff, in church or out. Learning to give them grace has been a hard thing for me, but I'm getting better.

Sounds like you're in a cool place. I'm glad for you.

tkn said...

following Christ doesn't necessarily mean going to church. Afterall, didn't Jesus break the sabbath to "work" and heal people?

Christianity started with people meeting in homes and in small informal groups, if I'm not mistaken. Discussing life and what it can be, what the message Jesus brought actually was, what a good life would look like, and questioning the beliefs handed down to them from the powers that be.

We must start being the church, indeed. We must start showing concern and love for the lowliest among us.

Ninjanun said...

I think I may have said something to that effect in that particular podcast, but what's cool is, I went back afterwards and was listening to an older podcast and Steve and Josh basically said the same thing long before I did.

At any rate, it's a good idea. It's like school...you can GO to school, but that doesn't mean actual learnin' is taking place...when you stop worrying so much about grades and lunch boxes and keeping score with gold stars (to extend the metaphor) you realize all that shit doesn't matter, and what DOES matter is, DID You learn and grow and touch others with your life as a result?