Thursday, April 26, 2007

Polar Opposites are Cold

OK my post about not liking any form of Calvanism really created heat. No so much here as at another blog.

Here is how I see it. Arminianism and Calvinism are not polar opposites. The polar opposite of Calvinism (or better Hyper-Calvinism) is the belief that everything just happens by chance. I will quote one of my favorite bands, Rush.

"Why are we here, because were here
Roll The Bones
Roll The Bones
Why does it happen because it happens
Roll The Bones
Roll The Bones"

Now I dont agree with Neil Peart's assesment of life here anymore than I agree that God is in charge and controls us like little robots. Both views are polar opposites and therefor frozen.

Neil Peart doesnt believe their is a God at all and that everything happens by chance. Calvin believed that God controls everything and there is no freewill.
Arminianism is a bit too far on the "Rush" side in that it discredits God's power.

I think in between lies the truth. God is there and is in control overall, however he doesnt override free will. Some things happen just by chance. The choice of whether to follow God is up to the person

4 comments:

Scott Hill said...

If you would take five minutes and read Calvin's writings (not what someone said Calvin said, but his actual books) you would discover that neither Calvin nor those who follow Calvinism believe man does not have a free will.

Spiritbear said...

Scott Hill,

I am more than willing to educate myself further on the truth of Calvinism. It is possible that what I am referring to could be better called something else, but the belief that God chooses who will be saved and who will roast is commonplace. Just look at the comments here and at Stupid Church People.

Where can I find the writings of John Calvin?

Bastard Bob said...

Spiritbear,
I'm curious what aspects of Calvinism you are against in particular.
Also,
What's your view on election? Does god choose us, or do we choose god?

MJ said...

BB,

Do you choose your wife or does she choose you? Just like real courtship, we choose one another. GOd chooses us and we choose him. But that just what I think and, well, I'm known for being a little nuts.