Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Whats new in life

Well not a lot. This weekend we went to a Church campout at a local "Emergent type" Church. The whole thing was geared around couples with little brats (I mean kids). I felt like I had nothing in common with these people even though there were nice at least superfically.

I also had a very intriguing conversation with a coworker of mine who I think is becoming a friend. He is a practicing Buddhist and we had a great talk about God, Buddhism, and Vipassana meditation. Initially my Churchianity background kicked in and alarm bells went off about the idea of trying out a Buddhist meditation technique but why not. Vipassana is esentially atheistic. In that it doesnt require belief in any God. You can take God or leave him. So why cant I as a Christian try it out. So my wife and I did and it was an amazing experience. We just did one 20 minute meditation and I felt better than I have in weeks. I dont feel any less Christian for having tried it. In fact I think I experienced something that could enhance my faith by taking the mind off the cares of this life. I also have found that a lot of teachings of Buddha and Christ as similar. I am not a Buddhist and I dont plan to become one but I have a much deeper appreciation and respect for the Buddhist faith and the practice of meditation. To say that to meditate is anti Christian is like saying that drinking water (unless its holy water) is anti Christian. Perhaps at one time everyone followed the same God. I feel the heresy coming on now.

I am not sure where this is going but I thought I would share the experience.

2 comments:

tkn said...

I started reading an ebook on Vipassana meditation awhile ago. I didn't make it through. Probably cause in an effort to save paper I printed it out four pages to a sheet of paper and the words are tiny.

That and meditation is hard! And reading about meditation is hard! but like anything worthwhile, requires some discipline and effort.

Awareness of reality is where its at.

I should start blogging again soon.

Nina said...

i was watching something on cable once--biblical scholars discussion the first 30 years of jesus' life. they said part of that journey was spenting studying buddhism. sounded very plausible to me.