Tuesday, June 17, 2008

What we get passionate about?

First off I am glad to know there are some who still read this thing. I wondered if that were still the case.

Anyway to the point. I been thinking about what makes us passionate about changing things and the answer is when it affects us.

Here is an example that is weird. When I was 18 I did a lot of traveling. I couldnt rent a car and occasionally I had problems with motels that wanted you to be 21 to rent a room. Nothing pissed me off more. Since I was 18 I wasnt good enough to have a place to sleep. I said to myself when I am over 21 and if and when I become powerful I will do something about this social injustice. If nothing else I was going to only do business with motels that would rent to those who were under 21. Well once I hit 21 I stopped caring so much. Sure philosophically I still think its unfair but now that I am 35 it doesnt affect me so I dont care so much.

Another example is car insurance companies that use credit scores for rates. This deporable evil practice hurts me because my credit is not great. I say to myself when my credit improves I will boycott those who do this evil and do business with those who dont. But chances are I wont.

Why dont people do something about the homeless? Because we have homes. Who cares about the unemployed when we have jobs. Who cares about the hungry when we have food.

I think the problem in the country and society isnt that people dont care in theory. Just that people only really care enough to make a difference if it directly affects them. Unfortunately the young, the poor, the homeless, those with bad credit arent the ones who have the power. So therefore the powerful make decisions that help them. Why do you think we have such a shitty society?

Only when people will fight for the rights of others when it doesnt help them (or may even hurt them) will real change take place. Who is with me?

1 comment:

Nina said...

I agree with you 100%.