Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Marketplace Christians

Robert E. Fraser wrote a book that I have not read but what I have read about it is that its purpose is to help people see spiritual value in their work.

I struggle with this daily. Corporations exist to make money. For no other reason. They have no heart. No soul just an undying devotion to the love of money. How then can working for a corporation ever be anything but evil?

Now before you bash me I would like to say that I dont think making a living is evil or doing regular work. However I have a hard time getting any gratification out of working for a corporation. The corporations very existance is a stench in the nostrils of God if we are to belive that the love of money is the root of all evil.

I would like to find spiritual value in corporate work. But I write off books like this and a few that I have read as the ministers way of trying to make normal people feel like they are worth something. And they are. Just not for working for a corporation.

Does God care one way or another about work? Does he even go to work with me? Can he stand to be present in a corporation when the nature of a corporation is eviler than that of Satan. again that is if we are to bellieve the love of money is the root of all evil.

Many people make a living doing things and not working for corporations.

What do you think people? I am curious. I am not sure myself

3 comments:

tkn said...

God is everywhere, especially when you are struggling with working for a corporation, that is God's voice, imo.

Its certainly not clear cut, however. Whether getting up and going to work is something good or evil. If you hate going to work and feel that its eroding/crushing your soul, then it might be time for a change.

As Elaine Pagels pointed out in Beyond Belief The Secret Gospel of Thomas, Jesus said something like "if you bring forth what is within you, it will save you. if you fail to bring forth what is within you, it will destroy you."

Spiritbear said...

You are right that God is everywhere. Its hard to see corporations as godly. This one or any one. However I think its probably not evil to go to work since I am doing with the intent of supporting myself and others.

I havent read the secret gospel of thomas but it sounds interesting. Is that a gnostic book?

Nina said...

God is everywhere. That doesn't mean people behave that way though.

I've come to see books like this as another way of ignoring the real truths of the System and, instead of making efforts to change it, they are simply trying to make us feel better with what we've been given. Hence, such books do little for me anymore.

While the System offers us very little in the way of options, I believe, I'm working (hard) on believing, that options are unlimited when connected to the Source. One thing I took from the whole Jesus thing was using Universal energy for creating. He was a master of manipulating this energy. He knew 'The Secret'. Whether Jesus is a myth or a real figure in history doesn't matter much to me anymore. I'm more interested in the potential the story teaches.