Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Time to buy a Buick and get me some depends

Ok. Right off I am sure I offended someone here but my poor joke was simply a way of saying I feel that I am growing older. Which I am. However at 35, I am not ready to start acting like an old person.  When I was in my early 20s, I wanted to get older cause older people could do what they wanted. Once I hit 26, I wanted to stop. Now I dont care.

Everyone who can, get out and enjoy life.  Though I struggle with depression as some know, thats not going to stop me.

Each year, I find myself acting more like an adult and I want to stop. Whats next, is Sears going to have everything I want. Am I going to eat at the Buffet every Sunday, suck on Werthers candy, drive my Buick and talk about how all my friends have died and spend my days deciding what nursing home and/or cemetary I plan to move to. Its really sad. If you have been around old people, you may know what I am talking about. Some are really nice. Others are very sad and depressing to be around. When I lived on the Coast, I thought I was aging at the rate of 5 years per year being around all of them.

Nope, I plan to be the old dude who acts 30 when I am 80.

I noticed a trend. Old people who try to stay young are healthy. Once they start acting old and talking about death and stuff, they die soon or have health problems.

I think its quite possible that cancer and heart disease dont kill. Its knowing you have them that kills you. Probalby not.
Btw, I do not own a Buick, but I do have to drive one at times. My mom owns one. I feel so weird when I drive it.

I dont hate old people. Everyone loves their grandparents (if you are lucky enough to have living grandparents). I wish I could have done more to keep my grandparents young. Then they might still be around.

Anybody else feel the need to beat getting old before it happens?

2 comments:

tkn said...

yeah, I should get some health insurance soon and a helmet.

Nina said...

we are, in many ways, who we tell ourselves we are. i'm finally getting that one. diet and activity and relationships are important, but it's who we think we are that matters more than anything.

never "grow up". that's boring. just grow into who you know you are.

that and the insurance and helmet thing. :)