Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The yellow brick road to HELL!!!!!

Nice title huh. Nothing theological here today though. A post over on Crallspace got me thinking about songs I HATE. I have endured Goodbye Yellow Brick Road by Elton John for most of my life. The hideous song haunts me with childhood memories of pediatricians offices and makes me want to throw up. I havent been tortured with it lately in stores though over time I have. Though just thinking about it when I commented on Crallspace made the evil melody get stuck in my head which in turn makes me want to grab a barf bag fast. I suspect its some kind of emotional trigger to a not so happy place in my past. I guess musically its no worse than others though not the best. My idea of hell would be listening to it for eternity. Maybe with a Chicago song or two thrown in.


Interesting enough. Goodbye yellow brick road was released in 1973. I was born in 1972. So it could be a doorway to my past. Though I would hope my past isnt as creepy as that song is to me.

Anyone else have a song that makes them just want to curl up and die?

5 comments:

crallspace said...

Always glad to inspire!!

I don't know this track... I don't think. I won't look for it- maybe life is better without this track in my psyche.

Though I must admit, his song "Club at the end of the street" is OK.

tkn said...

i kind of like that song, elton john has some cool melodies.

Spiritbear said...

It probably is the memories associated with it that drive me so nuts. Though I am not a big fan of the 70s sound anyway. Or anything overplayed that badly. I realized that She's gone by Hall and Oates, and a lot of songs I dont know the name of make me feel weird too.

Eltons newer stuff is good. Though I do like his old song Crocodile Rock. I guess I am just a bit of a nut.

I agree that Club and the end of the street is good. Most of his 80s era stuff is.

Nina said...

sledgehammer by peter gabriel annoys me more than most any other song.

Ninjanun said...

I agree with you about Goodbye Yellow Brick Road. Not sure if it's because of where I was at when I heard it (born in 1977, and welp, I was forced to listen to my parents' taste in music for a long time, so yeah, I heard it quite a bit too, growing up). I can't remember any specific instance of where I was while hearing it, but I know as a musician, there's something about the chord progression or melody in the chorus that bugs me. Actually, he has a few songs where the melody bugs me. But I don't mind his song, "Daniel," so much, or "Tiny Dancer". Especially since I used to sing it as, "Hold me closer, Tony Danza...."

Good times. :P