Monday, June 18, 2007

Church Shopping Again

OK. I am Church shopping again. Not because the one I had been going to is bad. Its not bad. Its just kind of cold at times. I wanted to take it all in at first so that I liked, but nobody talks to us. That is NOT why we are Church shopping. Here is why:

I can no longer deal with the over the top neo-conservative agenda being spewed forth in Churches. I can no longer be part of a Church that subtly promotes republicanism and the love of war.

Here is the statement on the Assemblies of God website:

Does the Assemblies of God have a position on war and conscientious objectors?

The Assemblies of God position on war and conscientious objectors states: "As a Movement we affirm our loyalty to the government of the United States in war or peace. We shall continue to insist, as we have historically, on the right of each member to choose for himself whether to declare his position as a combatant [one who willingly serves in positions of violence], a noncombatant [one who serves only in nonviolent ways], or a conscientious objector [one who refuses to participate in any form of military service because of personal convictions regarding war]." (Article XXII of the Bylaws)

Now why is this bad? Well the absolute loyalty to the government in any case bothers me a lot. Especially in the current administration. I feel that the purpose of a Church is loyalty to God not to the government. Is that not what our forefathers wanted to get away from?

I am going to try out the Mennonites and the Quakers (no not the Amish, the normal mennonites,though I highly respect the Amish).

I need to be in a Church that is not full of little bushians chanting WAR

3 comments:

Unknown said...

mmm...I don't disagree about the bushies in church, but I think you're reading more into the A/G paper than is there. There's a huge difference between affirming loyalty regarding a particular issue, and declaring absolute loyalty to the government.

The last paragraph of that position paper opens with, " The Assemblies of God as a Movement deplores war. Therefore we are committed to its avoidance as much as accountability, sensibility, and responsibility allow." I think that sheds considerable light on the statement regarding loyalty.

It's also helpful perspective to consider that these statements were ratified long before W lived in the White House.

I don't envy you in your search. Finding a church that thinks the way you think they ought is damn near impossible. Trust me.

Spiritbear said...

Dorsey,

Good to know you still visit my blog.
I know what you mean about the A/G paper. I read the whole thing. I will say though that within the A/G I have met lots of people who are of the "praise the lord and pass the ammo" type.

I guess I am saying maybe I am reading into it, but I think others are too as a justification. The culture of the A/G is far from pacifist. Though it started out as such.

Maybe I am getting brainwashed by the whole Anabaptist state Church and governemnt loyalty is bad thing. I dont know.

I think I am really trying to escape from the culture of American Evangelical Churchianity without totally giving up on the idea of fellowshipping with Christians in a Church setting.

The more I think about it, the more I realize people in Churches dont follow their own doctrine and a lot adhere to the "bring back the 50s" movement.

Unknown said...

I'm finding that most people don't even really care about doctrine. I used to, but much less so these days. This is just my skewed observation, but I believe that people don't care what their church believes nearly as much as they want to be cared for.

I remember searching for a church 18 years ago with my new bride. We tried all the usual suspects, A/G, Church of God, Nazarenes, and were treated rather coldly. I'll never forget the day we walked into a 350 year-old Presbyterian Church (PCUSA), and there was a line of people 20-deep waiting to shake our hands and greet us. I'm no Calvinist, and certainly not liberal, but guess where we wound up going to church? We got into some lively discussions there, but dear Lord, we loved them and they loved us. That's the most important thing.

Truthfully, although I've been out of church for over two years, that's why I still call it "my church." It's the love you share, not the beliefs, that makes it "yours." And since love is a choice you make, not a feeling you feel, your choice of fellowship is more about you than them.

Just my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it.