Monday, July 02, 2007

OK More why I hate "Internet Security Software"

It has been my experience that ISS (Internet Security Software) is mostly snake oil and is SEVERELY bloated. The name brand products can and will slow down your PC to a crawl. Normally firewalls will block your net access at some point and make your ISP want to reach through the phone and strangle you when you call and say your down. As a tech I have found that most infected PCs have some kind of big name software (i.e. Norton, MCafee) on them.

Trend is OK if you know what your doing and have more RAM than you need. apparenly none of them work with Vista (I think Vista sucks anyway). Norton and MCafee do more harm than good and are the cause of 50% of ISP support calls.

2 comments:

Recovering said...

Buy a mac. :)

Spiritbear said...

Yeah yeah I know,Macs are better but unfortunately I work in the windoze world so thats what i have access to. also the people I help have winbloze too. At heart I would be a mac or linux nut if I could