Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Its Brand New

I could have put this on my tech blog but the concept goes beyond computers to downright denial. In the tech world I dont know how many times people are dumbfounded when hardware fails. Especially if its new or not old. "Its brand new. It cannot be bad" I have heard people say many times. I have even heard technical people who should know better say this. Now its a fact in the computer world that most failure happen within 30 days so in reality its brand new means its more likely to break not less. That is why some people do something called burn in where it runs for a long period of time.

I have also heard this about other things. I would assume it would be a mechanics nightmare.

It seems like the belief that because something is "brand new" it cannot fail is a basic form of human denial. It drives me nuts.

Another factor in this is something that is "brand new" is more likely than something 10 or more years old to have been made in China with cheap quality by cheap labor. Most products these days are of the same quality as the crap I used to get out of gumball machines as a kid. When it broke in 5 minutes my mom would say what do you expect it was made in china

No comments: