Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Nonsense

I am not sure what to make of things of late. After reading a New Kind of Christian, I tend to agree with Brian McLarens points. I have no interest in attending a normal Church or being part of Churchianity. I feel so distanced from religion. I even told a friend today that I am not interested in going back to Church. Not cause my beliefs have changed but because of the fakeness. In some ways I hope to find in Emergent an authenticity that I have found in a small online community of friends (SCP, Dorsey, Senor Jefe, Zeke, Ninjanun, and others). I found people who feel the way I do. In Church I find no such thing. However I cannot help but feel isolated and like I am missing out.

I have even gone so far as to question basic doctrines (no not the Deity of Christ, but the innerancy of scripture). I see no harm in asking the questions. I just fear Churchianity may make them disappear since it has no answer.

I am not saying that I dont believe the Bible. I am simply saying that people go too far with it.

I am also to the point that I see Republicanism is almost totally incompatible with true Christianity. I must commend McLaren on his antiwar stance. He is almost pacifist which is quite a stand for an Emergent guy to take since Emergents stand for nothing a lot of the time.

I guess I dont know who I am anymore. if you know, please tell me.

3 comments:

Rock in the Grass (Pete Grassow) said...

Hey Brother
do not give up the search for authenticity. Sharpen your bullshit detector and do not settle for mediocre answers. because we do not have to to go in search of God - God already has us!
Peace for the season, and courage for the new year.
pete

MJ said...

I am coming to a place of patience. I am going to continue to be challenging as all get out, but fakianity is not going to get the better of me. I hear you about emergents. I just worry that they are also heading down the slippery slope of mountain theology (many routes to get to the same result)...if they are not careful. But, I will go anywhere in search of Jesus. I will look for him in earnest in every face. I don't care what they call themselves. I usually know I am worshipping in the right church when all the preaching falls in line with what God has been speaking into my heart at that time. I always get that when we are where he wants us. I don't know if anyone else gets that, but it's really quite neat.

The best gift we can give the body of Christ is our own authenticity. If you are real....it exposes the fakes. Truth makes liars ashamed. It either calls them out or it calls them away from you. Either way the result is good.

Spiritbear said...

I went to a Church this weekend that was pretty good. I am gonna give it a chance, but I still am very interested in meeting Emergent type people.

I too share the concern about the lack of theology and fear that pluralism will about.

I am so glad I am not the only person out there who deals with this stuff.

I think I been to many of the wrong Churches and a few of the right.

I thought about starting my own Church once, but realized, it too would be imperfect